Old Mission Peninsula Historical Society
Thursday, August 6, 2009 – 7:00 p.m.
Peninsula Township Town Hall
I. Social Time
II. Program -- (Program Chair, Donna Hornberger) Dorothy Wilhelm French on the Bohemian influence in the Grand Traverse region.
III. Business Meeting:
A. Meeting called to order
1. New membership forms may be picked up from President, Treasurer, or Membership Chairman at meeting or by a written request to the following address. (Please indicate “Old Mission Membership Form” and your return address).
P.O. Box 115
Old Mission, Mi 49673
Have you paid your dues for the upcoming year (due on June 1st)? [Student $5; Individual $10; Family $15; Business $25]
2. Joys and concerns among members
3. Community news
IV. Monthly Reports:
A. Approval of minutes May meeting (June Annual potluck meeting, no meeting in July)
B. Treasurer’s report
C. Committee Reports as necessary
2. Hessler Log Cabin
8. Oral History
11. Publicity/Fund Raising
12. Tree Committee
D. Report from Peter Dougherty Society
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
Old Mission Peninsula Historical Society
June 4, 2009 – 7:00 pm
American Legion Hall, Old Mission
I. Social Time and Annual Potluck Dinner: Doors opened at 5:30 and dinner was served at 6:00 p.m. Thanks to everyone we had a wonderful selection of food in every category from salad to desert!! A special thanks to Donna Hornberger for the delicious ham.
II. Business Meeting:
A. Meeting was called to order at 6:50 pm.
1. Dues are due! Remember that your Historical Society dues are due this month. You can pay Warren tonight or send it in the mail. Warren will also accept payment at the Post Office tomorrow form 9 to 5.
2. Log Cabin Day – Heatherlyn has flyers available for Log Cabin Day. Please take one to post in your church, library, store, or anywhere you can think of. Heatherlyn reports that we have a wonderful day planned including a Windsor Chair Furniture Workshop. Come and see an actual chair being build from start to finish. We will also have a Historic Food demonstration which is new this year. It’s going to be a great day. Be sure to come. Remember the Lighthouse will be open for tours and the Dougherty House Icehouse will also be open for tours during Log Cabin Day.
3. Dougherty House 4th Annual Fundraiser (Shake, Rattle & Roll for Dougherty) – JoAnn Cole reports that the annual Dougherty House Fundraiser will be August 8th from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. We will have 1950’s food, music and dance along with beer and wine. There will also be live and silent auctions. The event will be held at the historic Fowler Farm (large white barn at the base of the peninsula) 6782 Center Road. 50’s attire will be encouraged. Tickets will be available at Peninsula Market and form many Historical Society members (JoAnn Cole, Anita Klein, Nancy Warne, Tim Carroll, Jim Hall, Cal Jamieson, Warren Berthelsen).
4. Tim Carroll pointed out that a small article in the Traverse City Record Eagle reported that our own Donna Hornberger won the Regional Spelling Bee for Seniors. Her winning word was HARRIDAN which means a scolding woman. Donna says that it took them 5 years to make this win. A big congratulations to Donna!!!!
C. May Minutes – Anita Klein
1. Motion to approve – Bill Cole
2. Seconded – Tim Carroll
D. May Treasurer’s Report – Warren Berthelsen
1. Motion to approve – Cal Jamieson
2. Seconded – Anita Klein
III. Committee Reports:
A. Hessler Log Cabin – Paul Burns reports that he is going to arrange to have some diamond dust delivered. He plans to add about 2 to 3 inches to all the paths. Please contact Paul Burns or Donna Hornberger if you are interested in helping.
B. Tree Committee – Cal could use some volunteers to help with watering, weed killing and mulching..
C. Dougherty Home Site – Marty Klein reports that the Icehouse will be open for tours on Log Cabin Day.
D. Lighthouse – Fred Stoye reports that the Lighthouse is open. We hope to have the gift shope open soon. It will be inside the Lighthouse in the room with the ticket counter. We now have Light Keepers signed up for all the way through September and into next year. Remember anyone can be a Light Keeper and live in the Lighthouse.
IV. Old Business:
A. Nominations – Donna reports that our election committee (Barb
Berthelsen) has done a wonderful job of finding us a new president and
secretary. Nancy Warne has agreed to become our President and
Samantha Tengelitsch will be our new Secretary. Donna asked for
additional nominees from the floor but none were offered. The above
nominees were elected unanimously.
Laura Johnson announced that she would like to thank all of our officers especially the outgoing officers Donna and Anita. Everyone made a round of applause.
Donna reminds everyone that we will not have a meeting in July. Our next meeting will be August 6th, at 7:00 pm., at the Peninsula Township Hall.
Anita & Marty Klein Cal & Verla Jamieson Bob & Penny Rose
Warren & Barb Berthelsen Jerry Ostlund Shirley Donovan
Hedy Quick Fred & Debbie Stoye Patti Rudolph
Helen Pratt Bob & Arlene Dean Cozette Varg
Timothy Carroll JoAnn & Bill Cole Flo & Bob Schermerhorn
Kennard Weaver Gladys & Tom Maquire Bob Rosi
Dave & Nancy Warne Laura Johnson Mary Johnson
Samantha Tengelitsch Walt & Susan Feiger Jim & Judy Hall
Dave & Jody Charlton Ann Swaney