I. Social Time
II. Program: Dr. Mark Holley presented a talk about research on the original dock of Old Mission. This dock served the original settlement and the Old Mission store (according to local history, the original store was dragged up the hill to the present location). The original dock served Old Mission from the late 1840’s to the early 1850’s. He showed underwater pictures from the explorations at Old Mission dock and the Metropolis.
III. Business Meeting:
A. Meeting call to order at
1. New membership forms may be picked up from Chairman Ann Marie Grenadier directly or send a written request to the following address;
Please indicate “Old Mission Membership Form” and your return address.
2. Joys or concerns among members. None expressed
3. Any new community news: Cal Jamison- The Pig Roast was well attended and raised over $1000 for the Legion.
IV. Monthly Reports:
A. August Minutes – Anita Klein. The minutes of the July meeting were approved as written and accepted. Barb Berthelsen is taking the minutes for Anita who is out of town.
Report – Warren Berthelsen (June/August).
C. Committee Reports
1. Archives, Ann Swaney: Please let her know if you have artifacts to contribute. She is inventorying the collection to determine what we have (documents, records, etc).
2. Dougherty Home Site, Bob Dean: The archaeological dig is complete and their report will be coming. Marty Klein has completed a structural analysis and initial plan for the Dougherty House. Jerry Ostlund reported on the August Irish fundraiser. Approx $8000 was raised.
3. Historian, Bob Rosi: Committee will be meeting soon.
4. Hospitality, Terilee Johnson: No report.
5. Log Cabin, Patti Rudolph: Patti is absent. Her committee met in August at the Log Cabin. Laura Johnson reports that she is planning a workday and seasonal closing of the log cabin on October 13 and 14. She is looking for volunteers
6. Nominating Committee: Barb Berthelsen and Laura Johnson: No report.
7. Program, Jackie Burns: Al Bonney will do a sing-a-long and history presentation at the October meeting.
Committee, Rebecca Nothstine. Bob
Dean reported for Becky. The tree committee will have a meeting at her
Sept 20th. On October 6th
trees will be planted.
V. Old Business:
update: Oral History/Workshop held on
B. Further update: Hessler Log Cabin Landscaping – Barb Berthelsen. The landscaping was completed in July. A special thank you to Marty and Anita Klein and Patti Rudolph for the handmade stepping-stones in front of the door and windows. They also sifted all the sand from the stones around the foundation. More diamond dust may be needed in the spring and could be extended around the cabin to the viewing area.
C. Further update: Bob Rosi and Warren Berthelsen met with Fred Stoye regarding updating the duties and responsibilities for the “Hessler Log Cabin” and to re-structure the previous document signed by Velma Austin, President of the OMPHS in 1997, and Jim Horton, Chairman, Peninsula Township Board. The old agreement was signed in 1997. The committee will meet again this next week and work out final details and will present the proposed new agreement in October.
VI. New Business:
A. Membership, Ann Marie Grenadier Ann Marie expressed concern about the number of families that have not yet renewed. Renewals are due at the June meeting and there are still 22 individuals who have not yet renewed. She suggested a program be developed to try and increase our current membership: Publicity is needed to increase awareness of the OMPHS. Suggestions she made were a poster, cookbook, 2008 calendar, and a bring a friend to a meeting campaign. These are all activities being done by the Leelanau Historical Society to increase membership
B. Development of a new newsletter to be attached to the minutes each
month – Warren
House/ Parks Update, Laura Johnson: Monday, September 10, at , there will be a Township meeting
Township Hall to discuss the new Grounds Position.
Tuesday night, September 11 there will be a
public meeting at the Township Hall regarding the Park Board’s proposal
the lighthouse to the public. Both meetings are extremely important for
future of the
Special thanks to Shirley Donovan for the refreshments
VII. Adjournment 9:00
Jackie & Paul Burns
Terilee Johnson Carol Lewis Laura Johnson
Mary Louise Johnson Jerry Ostlund Cozette Varg
Bill & JoAnn Cole Penny & Bob Rosi Arlene Dean
Evelyn Johnson Ann & Gerry Swaney Nancy Warne
Connie Sargent Donald Pratt Marie Cornell
26 guests were also in attendance.